Back in April after a conversation with my sister, I decided to start sewing face masks. She works at one of those essential businesses and at the time she had to be in the office and was required to wear a mask all day long. The problem was she only had one. Remember back in April they were very hard to find. So every night she would come home tired from the long workday and wash her mask. As she was telling me her story, I suddenly realized I could put my sewing talents to use and make her a whole set of face mask.
The first set of masks I made were for my family. I started out by googling a pattern, cut it out of my old sewing scraps, and stitched up a set of fun little masks. We tested them out on a walk along the lake. They were ok, did the job, but I knew they could be better if I made my own pattern. So back to Google I went on a quest to discover exactly what makes a good mask.
- Woven cotton masks made out 2-3 layers of fabric.
- Sized to cover your nose, mouth, and chin.
- Fit tight on the side of your face with no gaps.
- Can be washed in hot water to kill germs.
- If you wear glasses a mask with a nose wire helps prevent fogging.
The Ellemichelle Mask
How to Wash your Ellemichelle Face Mask:
- Remove nose wire and wash mask with your regular laundry in your washing machine.
- Use regular laundry detergent and hot water.
- After washing reshape you mask and lay flat to dry.
- For extra freshness dry mask in direct sunlight.
- Wear a clean fresh mask everyday.
If you want to know more about how to properly wear a face mask you can find that infomation here https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/how-to-properly-wear-a-face-mask-to-slow-the-spread-of-coronavirus/
Please keep in mind a fabric face mask is not the same as an N95 medical mask and you should continue to social distance and wash your hands often when wearing a fabric mask. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/diy-cloth-face-coverings.html
The CDC says fabric masks help stop the spread of COVID-19 and recommended everyone wear one in public.